Pages

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Present

Today I am going to be present.

One of the thoughts I had when I woke up this morning was "I wish I could wake up in the morning and not have the desire to immediately check all social media." Why do I do that? Why do I need to know exactly what is going on in everyone's life at every second? I can't even walk to class without checking Twitter or Instagram. So I ask myself, how can I be more present?

Well, first of all. I can't do it on my own. I can't tell myself everyday "be more present." Because it just doesn't work that way. I have to ask God for the strength to do it. The other day, my pastor said "When you're with people ask yourself 'How can I be a blessing to these people?'" I feel like I'm always so consumed in myself or how many likes I'm getting on Instagram. Instead I should be concerned about how I can serve people and give my life away for God. I could spend my time walking to class and actually smiling at people instead of starring down at my phone. After all, they have souls too. When I'm eating a meal with wonderful friends... that is such a blessing! But I still can't stop being a slave to my phone. Most people don't get to eat with friends or family, and I do But I'm still constantly trying to be somewhere else or see what someone else is doing.



My life and purpose is about pouring into people and showing them Jesus every day. I don't have to go on a mission trip or be in a church to do any of this. This simply happens by loving people and being present. Showing people that they are important to me by listening... and being present. This isn't going to change instantly, it's going to take time just like anything else. I have to pray about it daily and completely surrender it to God, and he will provide.


No comments:

Post a Comment